Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

38th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards (pt 2)

I love the daytime TV genre. I remember Luke and Laura's iconic wedding on "General Hospital" in 1981. I fell in love with that show because of Robert and Holly. I have watched "All My Children", "One Life to Live", "Port Charles", "Young and the Restless", "Santa Barbara", and "Days of our Lives" at some point or other in my life. Soap actors don't get a lot of respect. They work harder than most other actors as there is not a season break, there are not repeats. It is a fast paced, often changing atmosphere where you need talent to survive. But it is generally looked down on when someone says they got their break on a soap. Over the last few years the soap opera scene has started to crumble. A couple of months back it was announced that ABC would be cancelling "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" and replacing them with reality based TV talk shows. And I do understand the network point of view as it does take a lot of money to produce a daily soap opera and yes, the market has been on a steady decline for years now. However, instead of getting rid of the soap operas maybe they should look at what is not working and what is working and make some changes to them. That said, we had the 38th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards telecast last night on CBS. The networks have been balking at hosting this awards ceremony for the last couple of years. Two years ago was a disastrous airing on the CW, last year and this year CBS agreed to air them with generous backing from Las Vegas. And when I say generous backing, I mean the promotion of all things Las Vegas swallowed the show. Somewhere it became an infomercial of why you should go to Vegas instead of to honor the daytime genre. Very sad to see it happen that way. Unfortunately, if this is what we have to look forward to next year, I hope they opt to not air the telecast, instead do a low key awards ceremony and save an already slighted genre further embarrassment.

That said, let me hop off of my soap box and give you my best dressed from the Emmys last night.


Melissa Archer - last year she went for the scandal. This year, she went simple elegance.

Lisa LoCicero is tied for my favorite dress from last night. Absolutely stunning!


Laura Wright - Big congratulations for winning Best Actress last night. 20 years in the daytime business and won her first Emmy on her first nomination.


Chrishell Stause and Melissa Claire Egan. Chrishell is my other favorite from last night.


Bree Williamson - beautiful!


Tamara Braun is my favorite daytime actress. I loved her dress, but wasn't crazy about her hair. Still adore that Tams!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...