Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2009

A little soap boxing on behalf of our four legged friends

Today I went to meet my friend, Terri, for lunch. She warned me in advance that there was a big pet adopt-a-thon going on in the area so I would have a hard time parking. I think everyone that knows me, knows that I am an avid animal lover. And I have to avoid the pet adoptions at all costs because I get so upset seeing the sad eyes that follow you around, begging you to take them home. The sweet faces that just want to find that "forever home" to love them and take care of them.

I saw the puppy pens set up front and center and just averted my eyes and kept walking to the restaurant, knowing that I would not only be depressed to see the poor homeless animals, but would probably have to call my parents with a sob story over some animal.

I truly understand that some animals end up in the shelters because their owners have been put in situations where they can no longer care for the animal...I have been in that situation before and know how heart wrenching it is to leave your animal behind because you have no other choice.

But a lot of animals in shelters are there because their owners didn't do any sort of homework on the type of breed they were buying, they impulse bought, or they didn't spay their pet and had unwanted babies.

I don't think it can be stressed enough -- RESEARCH your breed before you bring it home! Just because that dog is a cute and cuddly puppy, doesn't mean it is going to be a cute and cuddly adult dog. Be sure that the pet you are choosing is the kind of animal you are going to want in your life for many years to come. And spay/neuter!!

The State of Arizona is so overrun in the shelters that they did a last ditch adoption spree this weekend before the heart breaking decision has to be made to start putting animals to sleep on Monday. The State and Shelters can't keep supporting the animals with little funds coming in.



Tyson and I both thank you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...